George B Post
The C. P. Huntington mansion on Fifth Avenue. It was built by George B Post for Huntington and his wife, Arabella. The fortress was one of the largest homes in New York City, second only to it's neighbor, The Cornelius Vanderbilt II mansion. Arabella had originally wanted a much larger mansion on the plot, but Post refused to build such a large home. Since the mansion was already atrocious, it is hard to imagine what Arabella had had in mind for the size of her mansion.
Cornelius Vanderbilt II Residence | On Fifth Ave., but at 1 West 57th St., NYC. (facing Grand Army Plaza and later catty-corner of the Plaza Hotel. Designed by George B. Post and Richard Morris Hunt in the Chateau-style, the brick-and-limestone mansion was six stories and built between 1879 and 1883. Mrs. Cornelius (Alice Gwynn) Vanderbilt II sold the residence to developers and it was demolished in 1927. Before selling, she salvaged and donated some of its architectural treasurers.
This early nineteenth-century structure was located on the high ground overlooking the Hudson River on the line of West 126th Street, just north of Grant's Tomb. Originally the home of Michael Hogan, it was later occupied by Viscount Courtenay and was purchased by the Post family in 1821. This watercolor was probably copied (with modifications) from the lithography of Residence of the Post Family--Now Claremont Hotel in Valentine's Manual (1861).